Saturday, August 9, 2008

i don't know, john...

Ever since John Mayer came out with the song, "Say what you need to say", I loved it, sang along with it, and supported the campaign for having discussions rather than avoiding them.

But sometimes, in situations, I think....."This is not a good time to blurt out what I'm thinking. It might not make sense to the person listening. I might not be able to put to words what I'm feeling." OR..."I'll wait until a better time." There's also the thought that, while getting things said is valuable and o.k., it isn't always beneficial or necessary. Sometimes, if you can control your "mysterious" factors, you should. Leave room for curiosity and wonder. Mysteries and secrets (the good kind) are enchanting and luring.

So I think John is right. But the line, "It's better to say too much, than never to say anything at all..." cannot be applied to all situations. It just can't.

I'm learning to control what I say so as not to be one of those super complex and too-verbal people that nobody wants to handle. Also, I want to be mindful of what I'm saying, and if it really matters to whom I'm saying it.


Words carry power. What will you do with yours?

No comments: