Thursday, October 30, 2008

For the love of food



I had to blog about this because I just find it SO funny! And SO sick at the same time!:)

Yesterday at work, our board members had a small "feast" set up for us in the teacher's lounge. It was a gesture of appreciation, well received. Breakfast foods, fall foods, a little bit of everything. It was a nice spread, and a surprise for us teachers as we arrived. Word got out fast- it was all people could talk about during the first hour of the day. "Did you see the food?" "Hey, make sure you go get a plate!" They were ushering each other in there- nobody had a choice. Even our principals were covering peoples' morning duties (cafeteria, car line) so that those faculty could also indulge in the delights. The common goal was to make sure nobody started out their morning without eating a plate of food! It was good food, don't get me wrong. But the excitement over it is what was so hilarious to me. I laughed on the inside because this is a trend I've definitely observed in the work place. If somebody brings food, it is quickly discovered, and quickly devoured, with no shame. People race to get their portion before it's gone. It doesn't matter if you had breakfast or not. It doesn't matter that you will be eating lunch in two hours. Nothing matters except that you EAT THE FOOD. :)

I asked myself, is it just when a bunch of WOMEN work together that food is so celebrated? Hmm. I do recall, growing up, hearing mom always say, "I'll take that to work. The ladies will eat it." This could be in reference to anything- a nasty recipe that we didn't want to eat as leftovers, a dessert that would go stale before we ate it all; anything we didn't want to keep in the house. It was like....let's feed it to the dog....wait....we don't have a dog. Rather, "I'll take it to work. The ladies will eat it." :)

Isn't this funny, and a little bit sad?

1 comment:

Karla said...

hilarious.... that is SO true....
ugh... let's only get fat together if we are eating chocolate! :) hmmmm....
oh, or maybe not.... let's work our butts off at the gym but still eat mounds of chocolate! :)
love you.
kg